Accommodation Choices for USYD, Sydney – Australia
University of Sydney has five different housing options available to students that are run by the University around the main campus, with one of those for full-time post graduates only. Each of these options varies in cost, as well as size. Students can apply for these options year round, however they are in high demand and usually full to capacity before the academic year begins.
Real estate agents in Sydney are not able to offer a lease to someone who hasn’t viewed the property. If you need to stay for a few days or weeks, this will not be an option for you.
When moving to Sydney, you may need a temporary base while you find a longer term home. There are several options available for short-term stay, such as backpackers hostels, hotels or serviced apartments.
Short-term stays are offered by some of the on-campus colleges also offers accommodation during the winter and summer vacations. Keep in mind to book your short-term accommodation in advance, as it will be popular at the start of semester.
Additionally StudentBNB.com.au offer a range of accommodation options close to the university starting from just $27.50 per night
Off Campus Accommodation Choices
Provides students with the ultimate in flexibility, payment options and selection.
To search, browse and book accommodation near to Envirotech head to StudentBNB booking portal. StudentBNB have fixed national pricing so you don’t have to hunt for better deals or wonder about inclusion. Each Student BNB includes Linen, laundry use, kitchen, lounge, private bedroom and shared or private bathroom. You also have the choice of room rental only and self catering or you can also purchase a range of meal options if desired, all flexible. With StudentBNB you just pay as you go, you can extend fortnightly or monthly to help manage your budget.
- * You are NOT required to pay a bond or sign a lease
- *Fixed pricing on every property
- * No placement or booking fee
- * Electricity, water and bed linen are provided as part of your weekly rental.
- * Simply book for the time you require and pay securely online or via direct banking transfer – SEARCH NOW
Homestay provides the opportunity to live and experience life in Australia with an Aussie family. This service is provided through GBS assisted booking, where we will help match you to a suitable family and home based on your preferences. There is a small booking fee for this service to ensure a quality homestay match. Homestay provides you with not only a cultural experience but also meal options and additional family support while you settle into Australia.
Safer Options. When booking accommodation through StudentBNB or Homestay you have peace of mind that the properties have been inspection and completed a certification process to ensure they are suitable for student accommodation – BOOK NOW
You can rent properties through real estate agents, sharing with other students or direct to with the public but please be aware of the following additional costs and requirements.
- Costs to Add:
- * Bond – 4weeks rent plus two weeks rent in advance. Bond can be kept if property is not vacated in a suitable condition.
- * Lease – contract committing to a set amount of time typically a minimum of 6 months
- * Internet connection and monthly cost
- * Electricity connection and monthly cost
- * Water monthly cost
- * Food
- * Transport
Transport options around USYD consist of local buses and there are also options for light and heavy rail nearby (trains). To access public transport you will require to purchase a OPEL card. This is a tap on/ tap off transit card that you can purchase and top up at 7Eleven, Local train, bus stations and newsagent. To search transport bus and train number go to Google maps and type in your departure and arrival address and arrival time and you will see distance and transport times. See the website Transportnsw for further bus and train information.
cafes and eating options close to USYD
There are multiple options for eating around USYD
- Bosch Catering Outlet, Bosch Lecture Theatre, Western Avenue
Choose from a great range of home-made Turkish sandwiches. Also available are chips, hamburgers and coffee. An inside seating area is provided.
- Carslaw Coffee Cart, Carslaw Building
A convenient one-stop-shop for snacks, confectionery, and hot and cold beverages.
- Courtyard Restaurant and Bar, Ground Floor, Holme Building
Mediterranean-inspired menu offers a range of pizza, pasta and salads, with gluten-free and vegetarian options. Australian wine and craft beers on tap.
- Fisher Coffee Cart, outside Fisher Library
Open seven days during semester for coffee, snacks and cold drinks.
- Footbridge Station, Ground Floor, Holme Building
Sandwiches, salads, pies and sausage rolls as well as cakes to go with barista-made coffee.
- The Grandstand, No. 1 Oval, University of Sydney Blackburn Circuit
Sports bar, bistro and function centre.
- Lettucehead, Ground Floor, Manning House
Serves a variety of salads, sandwiches, fruit salad, yogurt, wraps, baguettes, soups and beverages.
- Manning Bar, Level 2, Manning House
Offers entertainment as well as alcoholic beverages and pub style meals. Seating can be found inside and outside on the balcony.
- Manning Grill, Level 2, Manning House
On the balcony next to Manning Bar. Offers pub-style meals with daily specials.
- Manning Kiosk, Manning Road
Located on Manning Road is Manning Kiosk with ready-made sandwiches, wraps, hot pastries, cakes, and hot and cold beverages.
- Miso Honi, Ground Floor, Manning House
Modern Asian including laksa, sushi, noodles, fried and steamed rice dishes, steamed dumplings, pad thai, teriyaki chicken, rice paper rolls and gyozas.
- Ralph’s Café, Arena Sports Centre
One of our renowned culinary icons, Ralph’s Café has been serving up home-style food and coffee to sleep-deprived students for more than 30 years. A popular choice is the Nutella cream croissants for an afternoon sugar hit.
- Taste Baguette, Law School Annex
Boutique roasted coffee, fresh baguettes made to order and a dangerously tempting selection of sweets. Conveniently located along Eastern Avenue, you can pick up lunch or coffee on your way to class.
- Caffe Tra Baci, Ground Floor, Manning House
Enjoy a barista-prepared Vittoria 100 percent Arabica coffee, a sweet treat, lunch or snack. Open daily from 8am all year round.
- Xquisito, Ground Floor, Manning Courtyard
Hot jacket potatoes, savoury and sweet crepes, smoothies, fresh juices and frappes.
- Zabeli, Level 1, Manning House
Bacon and eggs, toasted sandwiches, burgers, lasagne, pizza, hot chips and wedges, wraps, focaccias, risotto, cakes and coffee.
- Abercrombie Terrace, Level 1, Abercrombie Building
Specialises in single origin coffee and a rotating menu of Southern American dishes and salads.
- Belle Vie Cafe, Level 1, Wentworth Building
Beautiful desserts, cakes and meals including burritos, turkish bread with chicken schnitzel or cheese and roast veggies, light and healthy wraps, fresh pork rolls with delicious filling and more.
- Laneway, Level 3, Wentworth Building
Freshly baked waffles, artisan breads, freshly ground sustainable coffee, cakes and gourmet sandwiches. The only place on campus with all day breakfast.
- Hermann’s Bar, Wentworth Building
A relaxed atmosphere in which to study or compute (wireless internet available) while enjoying a fine selection of beers, wine, hot beverages and food.
- Jewel of India, Level 2, Wentworth Building
Selection of hot Indian dishes, meats from the tandoor, roti rolls and sweets.
- Little Asia, Level 2, Wentworth Building
Modern Asian cuisine. Noodles, fried rice, steamed and wok fried dishes.
- Raw, Level 2, Wentworth Building
Healthy salads, rolls, juices and smoothies.
- Snack Express, Level 2, Wentworth Building
This outlet offers gourmet sandwiches, a range of pastries, pies and great coffee. Open at 7.30am for breakfast through to late all year.
- Uni Brothers Kebabs, Level 2, Wentworth Building
Kebabs, salads, hot chips, burgers, pide and pizza.
- Cafe Azzuri, Plaza – Jane Foss Russell Building
Savoury and sweet crepes.
- Easyway Tea, Plaza – Jane Foss Russell Building
Variety of beverages.
- Parma Cucina and Bar, Shop 3, Plaza, Jane Foss Russell Building
Sandwiches, coffee, hot meals, outdoor seating. Licensed.
- Subway, Plaza, Jane Foss Russell Building
- The Forum Restaurant, Darlington Centre, 174 City Road
This two-storey heritage residence houses a full-service indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar.
- Boardwalk Cafe and Diner, next to Co-op Bookstore
Coffee, Asian cuisine, pizza, sandwiches.
- University Sports and Aquatic Centre Cafe
Coffee, sandwiches and light meals. Open seven days.
- Engineering Café, PNR Building, Maze Crescent
Options include coffee, fresh salads, the weekly meal deal, hamburgers and more. Indoor and outdoor seating is available.
- The Hearth Café, Wilkinson Building, City Road
Hot and cold beverages, sandwiches, wraps, cakes and pastries.
- Daylight Savings Bar, Courtyard, Seymour Centre
Opens every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 5pm until late.
- The Downstairs Bar, Sound Lounge, Seymour Centre
An intimate bar with table seating and serves light pre-show snacks. It is also the perfect bar for post show drinks as three nights a week it is transformed into the Sound Lounge with live music Thursday to Saturday.
- The Everest Bar, Seymour Centre
With expansive floors and walls the Everest Bar hosts regular exhibitions of sculpture and painting curated by Defiance Gallery in Newtown. It is the perfect bar for pre- and post-show functions and is a favourite for opening and closing night parties.
- The Coffee Cart, Main Foyer, Seymour Centre
Open before shows, serving great coffee, light snacks and alcoholic beverages.
- Music Café, Lower Level, Greenway Building, Macquarie Street
Has inside seating and offers a weekly meal deal plus many other meal choices.
- Music Café, Mezzanine Level, Greenway Building, Macquarie Street
Features both inside and outside seating and a light modern café-style menu.
- The JDV Food Court
The place to chill out and grab a bite to eat, with an outlet to suit everyone. Open throughout semester.
- Mallett Street Café
Operates during semester and serves hot and cold drinks, light snacks and lunches.
- The Café, Building 25
The Café offers a comprehensive selection of hot and cold food and beverages, and seats up to 50 people outdoors in the adjacent courtyard.